Tips for Better Temperature Retention in your Cooler
Whether you use Nu-Ice alone or to supplement traditional bag ice, many variables can and will affect the ability of your cooler to retain its Sub-Zero temperatures with Nu-Ice. To maximize your cooler performance, follow these simple steps:
- Try to start with a cool or chilled cooler. A typical recreational cooler is designed to insulate. Therefore, it will retain heat or cold. So we recommend storing your cooler in a cool, dry place so that your Nu-Ice can keep your payload chilled and is not wasted trying to cool the warm air in the cooler. Another good idea is to pre-chill your cooler with a sacrificial bag of ice or Nu-Ice several hours prior to loading contents.
- Add pre-chilled contents to cooler. Again, warm payload items will make your Nu-Ice work harder and discharge faster.
- If using ice with your Nu-Ice, select high quality ice. More frozen, solid blocks will help retain a lower temperature and remain frozen longer than less expensive bag ice which often appears wet and hollow. Once loaded, do not drain the water. Please note- the combination of Nu-Ice and ice is recommended for bottled, canned or well sealed foods and beverages.
- Cooler should be as full as possible. The chilled contents will maintain their cold temperatures longer if there are no voids in the cooler that will accelerate ice melting and Nu-Ice discharging.
- Once packed, the cooler should be kept out of direct sunlight and closed as much as possible. If the cooler is covered with additional insulation (a simple beach towel works) and access is limited to prevent cold air from escaping, you may extend the chill in your cooler by as much as 2 xs.
Simple Cooler Packing Instructions:
Frozen Goods: Use as small a cooler a possible, place an appropriately size Nu-Ice on the cooler’s bottom. Then place your frozen items on top of the bottom Nu-Ice. Finally, place an additional Nu-Ice on to of your frozen goods. If the steps above are followed, this technique will keep your goods frozen for days. Additional Nu-Ice packs may be place on the cooler walls in larger coolers or to extend freeze time even longer.
Chilled Foods and Beverage: The Combo Technique of Nu-Ice and tradition ice works great for this scenario. Pack as above but tightly fill gaps around contents with ice before inserting the top bag of Nu-Ice.